Saturday 28 October 2006

Trip to the Spice Market

Back at the hotel – Lorin and I got dumped our shopping, made plans to meet Frostie the next morning, I checked to see if my phone had arrived and we headed out to the Spice Market for a last couple of items.

This was the most fun part of our shopping day! The markets were not as busy as they had been in the afternoon and we were more relaxed than we had been in the morning. We found the sweets shop where we had been offered a special price – and he remembered us!! And we got the full treatment – he gave us tea and chatted with us, then we sampled various types of Turkish delight before deciding on our purchases which he then vacuum sealed for us.

While we were chatting the topic of backgammon came up – and he invited me to join him for a game later on – and while he seemed perfectly nice I declined – but it was very flattering and Lorin loved telling Canar and Cassie later on about me getting hit on my the Turkish delight seller.

After we had bought our Turkish delight we wandered about the Spice Market a bit more – after a full day of dealing with shopkeepers we were much more at ease with them and chatted back to them when they talked to us – and even though we assured them that we had already bought all the Turkish delight we wanted/needed they would insist that we try this or that type – all of which were very delicious.

On our way back to the hotel we stopped off at the lovely baklava shop where we bought some for a snack and I checked that they would be open the next day for me to buy some to take home we also stopped to buy a Turkish news paper to use as packing around our tea sets – we picked the fattest one and took placed it on the counter – as we paid for it the shop keeper asked if we read Turkish to which we responded no – the look on his face was classic

After dropping off the last lot of shopping in my room I headed out for some dinner the others had had a kebab on the way back from the Grand Bazar. Down stairs I ran into Canar and after chatting for a bit – he joined me for dinner – it was very interesting talking him with out his tour guide hat on a very ambitious young gentleman.

After dinner we could hear the fireworks – it was the start of the celebrations for republic day – and Canar asked me if I would like to see them as he knew a good view point near by – Of course was my response – the viewing point turned out to be a bar upstairs in the hotel – the view was amazing – wish I had had my camera with me – we could see the bridge and the new palace and topai palace and all all the fireworks in between.

No comments: