Sunday 25 June 2006

Wandering in Stirling

Had some time to kill in Stirling today between lunch and the monthly tea dance. So I did what I do I went walking to see what I could find. And wandering along in the balmy sunshine I discovered St Ninians Church and spent a pleasant hour or so investigating what I could of the church and it’s surrounds.

A very short history of St Ninians Church

The old Parish Kirk of St. Ninians was blown up by Prince Charles Edward’s forces, who had used it as a powder magazine in 1746.
While Stirling Castle was under attack during the Jacobite rebellion, the original church was used as a powder magazine and was blown up by the retreating Jacobite army in February 1746.

All that survived the explosion was the fifteenth century chancel and the tower which has been added to the Kirk as recently as 1743.

The present church was built in 1751 and altered in 1937, replacing the earlier church. The original 1732 tower is still standing.





Photos @ Kodak

No comments: