Thursday 13 July 2006

The Dangers of Googling

Was a bit bored at work so decided to do some Google searches on some of my friends. One of the searches turned up a site by another friend in Perth – so thinking it will be nice to read a bit from home followed the link where I got a bit of nasty surprise.

The write up was about a dance event in Perth and in with all the happy lovely stuff – I got a sentence all to myself saying how I was “a conniving, nasty piece of work” it was rather a shock to read this as the person writing it was someone who I thought of as a friend – not a bestest friend but a friend – the sort you happily chat with at class and look forward to seeing and notice when they aren’t around.

I’m not sure what I did to them real or imagined to deserve that comment – but despite the comment being old it has really stung me and I’m not sure how I will feel when I seem them when I am next in Perth again. Thankfully it’s a long way off.

So the lesson here is 2 fold

  1. be careful what you put on the big wide web as you never know who wil find it
  2. if you go a googling you may not always like what you find

No comments: