Monday 10 July 2006

I did good in Glasgow

On Saturday I drove over to Glasgow to DJ at their monthly Ceroc Party, I was somewhat nervous about this as I was warned that the Glasgow Crew were rather difficult to please.

Anyway I departed from Dundee a little late around 3.20pm the plan was to leave at 3pm arrive at Pretzelmeister’s around 5pm have time for dinner and to get changed before leaving to for the venue to set up. Well things went pretty much to plan – except for the arriving at the venue to set up – I didn’t have the right intersection programmed into TomTom and drove right by the venue where in it took me 15 minutes to get myself back to the venue by which time I was running late!!! But with Franck’s assistance was all set up by 8.02pm – just 2 minutes late – and with only one punter in the room! Phew!

Glasgow university is a very graceful looking building but a nightmare of a room set up and sound wise. Set up wise it’s difficult as there is only 1 that’s right 1 working power point!! Off this power point on a configuration of 2 extension cords and 3 powerboards we ran

  • mixer

  • Laptop

  • 2 speakers

  • 2 little swirly lights

  • 2 fans

  • 1 rope light and

  • 1 set of 4 coloured lights.



Spent a large part of the night half expecting the sparks to fly – thankfully they didn’t.

From here the night got better – although it was disconcerting that it took about 20-35 minutes before anyone started dancing, according to Franck this is normal they like to have a natter before hitting the dance floor.

At about 9pm there was a short Blues lesson and then the dancing started in earnest. As there was a blues room starting at 10pm upstairs the mix I played in the mainroom was pretty upbeat – mostly middle of the road with a few faster songs and a few slower ones.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the music through the night – floor was busy most of the time and there wasn’t a mass exodus when the blues room opened so figured I hadn’t got it completely wrong. However at the end of the night I discovered I had done better than not just getting it wrong – they had actually really liked it. I had one couple come up to me directly and tell me how much they had enjoyed the music and Franck relayed several other compliments including one person asking if he could get me back again!! Needless to say I was a happy wee elf!!

Pretzelmeister and McJester assisted me with my pack down and packing the car which meant a lazy pack for me – as they kindly did the heavy caring.

The 3 of us headed back to Pretzelmeister delightful domain where we indulged in drinks, dancing & discussion. McJester was a somewhat sensible fellow and headed home around 4.30am or so I think – time had become a somewhat abstract concept at this point.

And after a water fight that he started and in which I displayed my complete lack of eye hand co-ordination by completely missing a stationary Pretzelmeister from 3 feet away, we finally headed to our beds sometime after 6am.

At a l1am my alarm drove me from bed – as I need to be heading back to Dundee by 12-ish.

My gallant host provided me with a cooked breakfast/lunch to sustain me on my journey and I was away not much past 12.

The other highlight of the Glasgow party was getting to meet several more forumites – including in one case chatting with one but not realising she was a forumite *blush*

And I’m looking forward to meeting more of them at the Dundee party this Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you enjoyed glasgow
"set laser printer to kill"
haha

Yliander said...

it was a lot fun - really looking forward to the Dundee party on Saturday :)