Sunday 9 July 2006

Real Live Cemetery

On Friday I got an early mark and the sun was Shining so something out doors seemed appropriate – as I didn’t have sensible shoes on a walk in the woods was out of the question so I decided to to drop in and check out a cemetery I had driven past a few times.

I have visited many cemeteries over the years – I find the stories the memorials can tell fascinating – when I was a Uni I used to eat my lunch in the oldest graveyard in Wellington – it was a lovely peaceful place with lots of green around.

Anyway this cemetery creeped me out!!!


And not for any reason you would guess – but because it was a live cemetery the graves here weren’t some sort of history of the area they belonged to here and now, connected to this world. The youngest grave I saw had a date of 14 June 06 on it!! These graves belonged not to the person in them but the families that mourned them and came to visit and care for them.

It was interesting to see land so clearly set aside for new graves.



The other thing that I found interesting was that the gravestones or more to the point that there were gravestones as when I visited my grandmothers memorial– that most of the graves there had plaques in the ground – apparently the cemetery didn’t allow stones as they were to hard to mow around. Personally I prefer the gravestones just seems more fitting/proper ...

No comments: