Saturday 19 August 2006

Ceilidh Dancing

After finishing up at Kelvin Grove Hall I headed to Pretzelmeisters for the main purpose of this trip Ceilidh (Kay-lee) Dancing.

Ceilidh Dancing is a semi called type of Scottish country dancing and when I mentioned to Pretzelmeister & McJester that I wanted to try it they decided the Riverside club should be the place for my induction.

Prior to the actual dancing there was a home cooked dinner at Pretzelmeisters place with dessert provided by Lemon Cake – There were 12 in total for dinner and apart from an emergeceny run to the local take away for rice all went smoothly and was Delicious!!

From Pretzelmeisters we bundle off into cars to the Riverside Club – which has been running the Ceilidh dances weekly for about 20 years! We arrived right a little late but these things happen and we met up with those that had been unable to make it to dinner and had managed to secure us a well located table.

My first dance was the most sedate one of the evening – can’t remember what it was called – after that all the dances seemed manic in the extreme! I wouldn’t consider myself unfit but there was barely a dance that didn’t leave me at least slightly breathless if not gasping for breath!! This combined with the intense heat and lack of ventilation led us to seek refuge on the stairs outside to enable us to continue the evening.

Not knowing the dances wasn’t to much of a hindrance – as the band would explain the steps of the dance before they started it – and the lads with us led the dances quite well with appropriate explanations as we went along

The maddest dance of the evening for me was one called The Swedish Masqurade – this song was requested by Pretzelmeister requested this one and next thing I know I am following instructions to spin, jump and just follow – the fact that there were only two couples on the floor for this dance was terrifying and reassuring – terrifying in that people were watching reassuring in that I didn’t have to worry about hitting another couple as I whirled around like mad dervish. Pretzelmeister also managed to incorporate some ceroc dips into this dance as well!

One of the really great thing about the Ceilidh dance was the number of boys in kilts – actually boys in kilts is one of the best things about Scotland ;)

After the Ceilidh those of us with any energy headed back to Pretzelmeister’s for drinks, discussion and dancing.

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=bn23palx.cc49qul9&Uy=9qakkh&Ux=0&localeid=en_GB

No comments: