Friday 18 August 2006

Human Pin Cushion

After lunch I headed off to my first ever acupuncture session! The acupuncturist didn’t speak much English so much of the history/explanation of why I was there was done a translator which was an interesting experience – but strangely enough it didn’t freak me out that this person with whom I could only communicate with in a minimal way was going to fill me full of long pointy needles.

After establishing that I was there to have the tightness in my neck worked on – I was shown to a small room where I was asked to strip down to my underwear and lay on massage table with towel over me.

When the Needle lady returned she started gentley poking around my neck and then tapped me sharply with a single finger and wa la the first needle was in – I was really surprise at the fact that I didn’t feel a thing as they went in – when she was manipulating them I could feel them but it wasn’t painful more like a heavy weight pushing into my neck. In short order she had 8 needles in me – 6 in my neck and on in each side of my rib cage. After this I was left under a head lamp for a period time I’m guessing about 45 min as the entire appointment took near to 1.5 hours.

After I had been baked for a suitable length of time the Needle lady appeared and removed the needles (this stung a little but not much) and finished me off with a massage.

The massage was different to any other massage/physical manipulation I have ever had which I think is in part due to the acupuncture before hand and just a general difference in technique – the oddest bit was when she smack the heels of me feet…

So far the best treatment I have had for my neck since arriving in the UK and will be having more sessions with the inscrutable Needle Lady next time I am in need when I am down London way

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.